joi, 24 iulie 2008

The Air I Breathe

Well, I mean the movie not what it's coming through my non-stop working A/C unit... yeah, that "central" A/C so popular in the US of A and almost impossible to find in Europe. And for good reason I guess: does it make any sense not to be able to set a different temperature in each room?! Seems the Americans think it does :D

Anyways, back to the movie...



I kind of liked it... OK, it's a more or less clone of Magnolia, but it still hits the right spot for me... (If you did not see Magnolia, you're the only one to blame; do yourself a service and check it out!). More recently, Crash and Babel were in the same genre, but, again, I think there is still place under the Sun for The Air I Breathe.
OK, the characters are underdeveloped, the story has more style than substance, the coincidences - on which the film is based - are a bit too stretched out, still you get a good movie, with an almost perfect cinematography, a great cast - yeah, when Brendan Fraser leaves the mummies and Sarah Michelle Gellar does not slay any vampire, they can actually act - and a far better way than most to spend 95 minutes.

What others are saying 'bout this movie? Well, on Rotten Tomato only 14% percent of the critics liked it, the general opinion being "(the movie) takes itself way too seriously, and it doesn’t add up to much"; High-Def Digest has a particular nice phrase about it: "The latest dose of such intellectual masturbation comes in the form of ‘The Air I Breathe,’ a meandering meditation on the interconnectivity of man divided into four vignettes".

Well, I have really enjoyed the movie as being one of the best I've seen lately. Actually I didn't enjoy a movie so much since I have seen Closer a couple of years back. I guess a 7.4 rating on IMDB really does the trick for me :)

So, please do me a favor and check this movie out, at least to let me know if I've wasted 95 minutes of your life!